Systems Engineer - Unix|
Salesforce, the Customer Success Platform and world's #1 CRM, empowers companies to connect with their customers in a whole new way. We are the fastest growing of the top 10 enterprise software companies, the World's Most Innovative Company according to Forbes, and one of Fortune's 100 Best Companies to Work For six years running. The growth, innovation, and Aloha spirit of Salesforce are driven by our incredible employees who thrive on delivering success for our customers while also finding time to give back through our 1/1/1 model, which leverages 1% of our time, equity, and product to improve communities around the world. Salesforce is a team sport, and we play to win. Join us!
Contribute to the overall success of the IT Operations organization by providing oversight and improvement of corporate IT infrastructure platform and by streamlining recurring administrative efforts. Interface daily with other IT technical staff, working on assignments and delivering services related in the area of responsibility. This position will require 24x7 coverage and response to systems alerts during 'on-call' periods. The Systems Engineer must be receptive to management coaching to increase his/her individual and team's effectiveness.
Position is focused on supporting our UNIX and VMWare Systems infrastructure, Focusing on RHEL and VMWare.
Required skills and experience:
- Be a strong contributor to the UNIX IT operations team - develop short term tactical plans to address issues and problems.
- Be familiar with *NIX operations running on virtual infrastructure.
- Help resolve complex IT issues;
- Maintain systems patch levels proactively;
- Demonstrate enterprise compliance to standards with objectively using metrics;
- Respond to and remediate systems incidents;
- Configure systems and tools to automate manual tasks through scripting and scheduling;
- Make use of command scripting and scheduling to reduce errors;
- Ensure enterprise changes are tracked and controlled Document standards, best practices and policies for Linux/Solaris server platforms;
- Field escalated support requests from groups including: Network Engineering, Systems Engineering, Infrastructure Operations, IT NOC, Desktop Support, Techforce, Information Security, Data Warehouse, Application Support, Tech Operations and other.
- This position requires someone who is smart, learns quickly, hardworking and thrives in a fast paced team environment;
- Requires a Bachelor's degree(or equivalent experience) and 3+ years combined experience within technical support, systems administration, systems engineering and security administration;
- Must have effective oral and written communications skills and the ability to work successfully with others;
- Strong analytical/problem solving skills, ability to provide alternatives, root cause analysis, testing skills and ability to make thoughtful proposals are also among the skills required;
- Must have practical experience with network, systems and storage management implementation, troubleshooting, change management and root cause analysis;
- Must possess hands-on experience with later Linux/VMWare platform hardware and software.
- Ability to build a server from bare metal to functional based on business requirements
- Ability to quickly diagnose problems in the Linux OS based on common tools (log files, application errors)
- 3-5 years of enterprise scale Red Hat Enterprise Linux operational expertise, with increasing responsibility and technical acumen.
- 3 years of VMWare operational expertise.
- Experience with mission critical systems management in a large global organization.
- Shell &/OR Python scripting.
- Knowledge of could services and the http://force.com platform.
- Understanding of Apache web services
- Understanding of Centrify management suite
- Understanding of Red Hat Satellite
- Experience as part of an on-call rotation
- Experience with monitoring tools (Zabbix, Splunk, Nagios, etc)